September 3, 2010

Making Progress -- sort of

Ran a 5k on the 21st. Just two quick walking breaks -- at each water stop. Took 4:30 off last year's fastest 5K, so really pleased with that. Fastest 5K in six years. Not bad for someone who has reached "senior" level in running terms. However, have put on 8 lbs. since winter. Wah. Need to find enough balance somewhere so I can run at least three days a week. Funny, took so much time off by essentially running just once a week. The secret must be to adopt a kid from Ethiopia and then spend your days chasing him. I had a bad mommy moment in the race though. It was a woman's run, so it becomes my one "this one's for me" race for the year. However, a small boy said, "Me too!" when I announced I had a race. So we let him run as a bandit with Daddy. He made so many people smile, it was totally worth it. But he went out like a rabbit and started tiring close to the halfway mark, plus he had run back to find me, so added considerable distance. I was running completely within myself, consistent pace each quarter mile. Eventually he couldn't keep up any more. "Mommy, wait" he pleaded. I kept going. I feel so bad. Daddy stayed with him, but I still feel bad. He finished about seven minutes behind me. Was it ok for me to be selfish this one time, or should I have responded to that plaintive "Mommy wait!"? Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment